What Investment Expenses Are Tax Deductible

For those of you that have investments -- be it mutual funds, stocks, or bonds -- there are expenses that go along with them. In certain cases some of those investment expenses are tax deductible, but unfortunately many investors don't realize this and fail to take advantage of such deductions. It's important to know which investment expenses are tax deductible.

Some of the common tax deductible investment expenses:

Various costs for investment counseling and money you spend on advice including subscriptions to financial publications.

Legal fees including attorneys, accountants, or other clerical fees that are needed to obtain income.

Money spent on online services or software that you use to manage your investments.

IRA or Keogh custodial fees that are paid by cash outside of the account.

The cost of the safe deposit box used to store stock certificates and other investment papers.

Transportation cost of travel to and from your investment adviser's or broker's office.

Various charges for investment services and reinvestment plans.

The cost to replace lost security certificates.

What are not tax deductible investment expenses:

Broker's fees that are paid for assistance in buying securities and commission fees.

Money spent on travel to and from shareholders' meetings, seminars, or conventions.

Borrowing costs associated with life insurance policies.

In general, it is always good practice to consult your tax preparation agent and your investment adviser to make sure which investment related expenses will be tax deductible. Each situation will vary, so what can or cannot be deducted during tax preparation will depend somewhat on each person.

Related Life123 Articles

As an investor, you are subject to federal income taxes and state and local income taxes, if applicable. Learn how to manage the impact of taxes on investments.

Determining your tax bracket is important in calculating how much money you will owe the federal government in taxes.

Frequently Asked Questions on Ask.com
More Related Life123 Articles

As you check out various investment options, keep in mind that many savvy investors attempt to balance out the investments that will be subject to tax with those that are considered tax-exempt, tax-deferred or even tax-free.

When you sell your shares in an investment for a profit, you will need to pay taxes on that profit. But how do you know exactly how much you are supposed to pay, especially if you have had the investment for a long time?

If you obtain a new home loan with private mortgage insurance in 2007, you might be able to deduct the cost of the insurance on your 2007 federal income tax return. Here's what you need to know.

© 2015 Life123, Inc. All rights reserved. An IAC Company