Varietal Types of Wine

Varietal types of wine are too numerous to count because of cloning, replanting and creating hybrids. However, understanding the major varietals can help you if you ever plan to go wine tasting.

What are varietals?
A varietal is the particular variety or type of grape used in a wine. The main varietals grown today are Cabernet, Chardonnay, Merlot and Zinfandel.

According to law, in order to name a wine after a particular grape (or varietal), approximately 75 percent or more of the grapes used in that batch of wine must be from the same varietal. That means the other 25 percent can be a different grape, which in some instances is intended to change the flavor and in other instances is intended to retain the same flavor.

Red Wine Varietals
Cabernet. This is a good stand-alone wine; it doesn't require blending, but it does blend nicely without losing its great flavor. Usual flavors found in Cabernet include berries and vegetables, with herbs, tobacco and, in some cases, mint mixed in.

Merlot. This wine leans toward berry flavors with a slight shift in the direction of delicate herbs. Merlot ripens earlier than most grape varieties and also is a good stand-alone varietal.

Zinfandel. This wine also lends itself well to berry flavors, but often adds a slight hint of oak. At times this wine also favors spicy pepper, mixed with more earthy flavors. Zinfandel comes in both red and white varietals.

White Wine Varietals
Chardonnay. Chardonnay offers intense, bold flavors that may include several fruits, including apple, melon, pear, peach or even citrus flavors. Among the many distinct flavors and aromas, wine enthusiasts may notice a slight taste or scent of honey or butter, as well as some spicy flavors.

White Zinfandel. This wine is more of a light-bodied wine. By leaving the white wine and the dark grape skins together for a period of time, a romantic pink blush emerges.

Related Life123 Articles

To fully appreciate wine tasting, you must know what it is that makes an individual wine exemplary. Becoming acquainted with the subtle nuances of the art and language can heighten your wine-tasting experience.

Organic wine making? Wine made with organically grown grapes? Biodynamic wine? Vegan wine? If you are confused about what these terms mean, we'll give you the inside scoop on what these terms mean to you.

Frequently Asked Questions on Ask.com
More Related Life123 Articles

While you cannot really get an actual "taste" of the wine by reading its label, you can certainly find a lot of information about a prospective wine by looking at the label on the bottle.

Red wines are created from a variety of distinctive grapes, each lending a different flavor to the wine depending on how long and with what method the wine is aged.

For people who collect and enjoy red wine, making sure that the bottles are stored properly is very important. Here are a few simple tips that will help you with red wine storage, which will allow you to keep your red wine in top condition, making it possible to enjoy your favorite wine whenever you like.

© 2014 Life123, Inc. All rights reserved. An IAC Company