How long does food poisoning last? How long a person experiences these unpleasant symptoms all depends on the amount of contamination in the food and the health and age of the person eating the contaminated food. Food poisoning usually lasts between 1 to 10 days. The most common cases usually only show symptoms for a few days.
Food poisoning can occur when someone eats or drinks something contaminated with an infectious organism. Because the poisoning is in the stomach, it can be absorbed into the system quickly. Symptoms of food poisoning can show up anywhere between hours to days after consumption of the contaminated item.
Food Poisoning Symptoms
Common food poisoning symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, stomach pains, loss of appetite and vomiting. These symptoms are usually only present for a few days. Rare food poisoning symptoms include blurred vision, numbness, fatigue and fever. There may also be blood in the vomit or diarrhea. Depending on the severity, these symptoms can last one day or several weeks.
Food Poisoning Treatments
The best treatment for a mild case of food poisoning is to rest and take care of yourself. Get plenty of sleep, eat healthy foods and make sure to stay well hydrated. Dehydration is the most common problem associated with food poisoning symptoms. So it's vital that you drink plenty of water and/or electrolytes replacement beverages to help prevent dehydration.
Food Poisoning Prevention
The best treatment for food poisoning is prevention. You can help prevent food poisoning by remembering to always wash your hands before and after touching food. You also need to make sure to clean your food correctly as well as properly clean any cutting or preparation surfaces. Remember to check that the food you eat has been prepared properly, cooked thoroughly and stored correctly.
Botulism food poisoning is no laughing matter. Although rare, botulism food poisoning is a very serious condition that can lead to paralysis and even death.
Mercury poisoning occurs when an individual is exposed to too much mercury in its inorganic, organic or elemental form. Mercury poisoning can occur from both short and long term exposure.