Remedies for alcohol poisoning, unless medically supervised can do more harm than good. Alcohol poisoning doesn't only arise as an issue after a hard night of partying. When most people think of alcohol poisoning, their minds automatically go to alcoholic beverages, concoctions that contain ethanol. What they don't tend to consider, however, is that ethanol can also be found in mouthwash and some types of medications.
In fact, there are three kinds of alcohols that can lead to poisoning: ethanol, isopropyl alcohol, also known as rubbing alcohol, and methanol. Isopropyl alcohol is an ingredient found in some cleaning products; methanol is contained in antifreeze, paints and solvents.
Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning
There are a number of symptoms of alcohol poisoning, These symptoms include:
A person can actually drink enough to have alcohol poisoning and pass out before any other symptoms are in evidence. If the person binge drinks over a long period of time or drinks five or more alcoholic beverages quickly, poisoning is possible. What's worse, the body continues to release alcohol into the bloodstream even if the person is unconscious.
Don't Treat This Yourself
The home remedies for drinking too much alcohol not only don't work, the remedies can actually be very dangerous. Taking a cold shower under these conditions, for instance, can shock the system into unconsciousness. In addition, a person who drinks coffee to help countermand the effects of drinking too much will just end up being both drunk and wide awake. Walking to keep the system moving won't really help either.
The key word in alcohol poisoning is "poisoning." However, unlike some other types of poisoning, do not try to induce vomiting. The gag reflex might have been affected by the alcohol, which can lead to choking or the inhalation of vomit. What starts out as an honest attempt to help results in a potentially fatal situation.
You have two choices of treatment for alcohol poisoning: call 911 or call a poison control center. You will be routed to your local poison control center if you call 800-222-1222. Whichever choice that you make, don't leave the person alone until you get help.
Symptoms of methane gas poisoning should, if noted, serve as a "do not pass go" trip directly to your physician.