If you are concerned about the symptoms of methane gas poisoning, you might want to install a methane gas detector in your home. A methane gas detector will sound the alarm if methane in the air starts reaching towards unsafe levels.
As a person, detecting methane gas can be a problem as the gas is colorless and odorless. Methane gas can not only cause you to suffocate, methane gas can explode. Methane is capable of exploding if the air contains between 5 and 15 percent of the gas.
Do you use natural gas to fuel the appliances in your home? Natural gas is 97 percent methane. Therefore, if you use natural gas, you may be exposed to methane gas if your equipment is faulty or leaky. In addition, carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning natural gas. Like methane, carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless and exposure to this gas can also lead to death.
You may associate hydrogen sulfide with septic tanks or sewers. Hydrogen sulfide causes that ugly rotten egg smell. However, methane gas is also thrown off by sewers and septic tanks. If you smell the rotten egg smell, you are also likely to be inhaling methane.
Methane gas is not long lasting and evaporates quite quickly. It is usually inhaled because any methane in food or water evaporates in a short period of time. The gas can't be transferred by touch.
Methane Gas Poisoning Symptoms
You may feel dizzy, have blurred vision, have rapid breathing or have a rapid heart rate. Ultimately, you may become unconscious and die.
In addition to keeping your appliances serviced, make sure that your home or business is properly ventilated to prevent methane, and other dangerous gases, from accumulating in the air. If you think that you have been exposed to a toxic level of methane, or any other dangerous gas or chemical, consult with your physician immediately.
Alcohol poisoning requires a careful, quick response. Learn what to do and, perhaps even more importantly, what not to do.