Losing weight can help improve your overall health. Even losing a few pounds can help you feel more energetic and happier. Consider making one change each week for one year as part of your weight-loss journey. Here are 52 easy weight loss tips:
1. Drink more water. It's easy to confuse thirst with hunger.
2. Eliminate sugary soft drinks, as they are high in calories.
3. Add an extra 15 minutes of walking to your daily routine.
4. Ask your doctor to recommend a nutritionist. You can work together to develop a healthy eating plan that is suited specifically to your needs.
5. Substitute a plain baked potato for French fries when eating out.
6. Substitute a salad (dressing on the side) for chips or French fries.
7. Get up and do 10 or 20 jumping jacks during commercials while watching television.
8. Walk around the house, instead of sitting, when chatting on the phone.
9. Take your dog for an extra walk each day. Your dog will love the extra attention, and you will benefit from the activity.
10. Practice portion control. The American Heart Association suggests keeping portion sizes the same size as your fist.
11. Snack on cut veggies or fresh fruit when the afternoon munchies hit.
12. Take the stairs instead of the escalator when shopping at the mall.
13. When you feel like snacking, chew a piece of sugarless gum.
14. Substitute skim milk for whole milk.
15. Institute Meatless Mondays. Fix heart-healthy, meatless meals filled with colorful vegetables.
16. Eat breakfast every day to help reduce the urge to snack before lunchtime.
17. Eat slower, savoring every bite.
18. Never skip meals. Eating one small meal every three to four hours can help control hunger.
19. Keep a food diary to help track what you eat. You may be surprised at how many calories you are consuming each day.
20. Avoid emotional eating.
21. Opt for a single-patty turkey burger instead of a double-patty beef burger.
22. Choose air-popped popcorn instead of the microwave version with butter.
23. Remembering portion control, get half your restaurant dinner to go.
24. Drink a glass of water before each meal.
25. Eat high-fiber foods such as sweet potatoes, apples and oatmeal. The high-fiber content in fruits and vegetables will make you feel full without many calories.
26. If you're going to eat cookies, have one instead of three.
27. Make exercise a priority, at least 30 minutes a day, five times a week.
28. Switch from dinner plates to lunch-size plates. This will help with portion control.
29. Get active when watching television. March in place, do sit-ups or practice stretching your muscles.
30. Ditch the fast food. Opt for home-cooked meals with healthy ingredients.
31. Choose healthier fats, such as olive oil, for cooking.
32. Share your entree when dining out. Portions are often huge in many restaurants. Eat less by sharing half of a larger portion.
33. Get off at an earlier bus stop and walk a few extra blocks when possible.
34. When safety allows, park at the far end of the parking lot to add more steps to your day.
35. Choose grilled chicken over breaded, fried chicken to reduce fat and calorie intake.
36. Find an exercise buddy. Exercise can be more fun with a friend, and you will be more likely to stick to a routine.
37. Eat a high-fiber cereal for breakfast. More fiber and complex carbohydrates can help aid in weight loss.
38. Opt for whole-grain breads instead of white bread.
39. Mix up your exercise routine. If you keep it interesting, you are more likely to stick with it.
40. Try sherbet or frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.
41. When traveling, pack your own bags of healthy snacks.
42. Only eat when you are hungry. Avoid eating when bored or simply because your favorite show is on television.
43. Season your food or even make it spicy. Well-seasoned food tastes better and may satisfy your hunger faster.
44. If you have to eat fast food, order smaller portions or even opt for the kid's meal.
45. When ordering at a restaurant, avoid menu items that are fried, battered or sauteed.
46. If stressed, don't look to food as a relaxer. Choose a different activity, such as walking or playing with your kids.
47. Play with your kids, a lot. Get out and get active. Play games like catch and tag, or ride bikes together every day.
48. Eliminate or limit alcohol consumption. Alcohol is high in calories and does not fit into a healthy diet plan.
49. Set weight loss goals. Be sure to include short-term and long-term goals.
50. Opt for non-fat dairy creamer in your coffee, and eliminate the sugar as well.
51. Cook from scratch instead of using convenience items loaded with sodium and preservatives.
52. Forgive yourself. If you indulge in a treat or higher-calorie meal, don't beat yourself up afterward. Resolve to get back on track tomorrow with healthy choices.
Remember: consult your doctor before starting any weight loss plan.